Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A fighter's life for me.

Recently, my personal message on msn has been this: A fighter's life for me. Body and mind, purged and refined.

Now what does it really mean. A fighters life for me is actually a quotation from Jimmy Smith's myspace page. For those that dont know, jimmy smith is a co host of fight quest. I have a lot of respect for this guy. A maths degree from UCLA proves he has the brains, and being married speaks alot about responsibility and commitment. But this guy is also a pro Mixed Martial Arts fighter, using muay thai and brazillian jiu jitsu as his weapon of choice. He's got a ripped body ( as most fighters do)- proving that he is in a awesome physical shape.

I draw inspiration from people like jimmy. Theres no such thing as stereotype. You shouldnt label yourself under one category and stick with it." Oh, Im a nerd, so i must study..oh im a geek.cant socialize. Oh im a guy,cannot cook or bake" all that is total bullshit.

I try to lead my life following these principles. Have no respect for the boundaries of stereotype. So a fighter's life for me, means that in everything that i do, i will do so with the same relentless power, intensity and effort as when im working on the heavy bags, when im kicking the pads, or when im practising my knee strikes. To ignore that pain untill the very moment of total muscle fatigue. To continue grappling when your hamstring seizes up in a wave of cramps. To continue punching and kicking past your 3 minute threshold. That is the ultimate satisfaction. To push yourself to more than you could ever dream of achieving, that is what it means to lead a fighter's life.

I hope to put this principle in the context of education as well. To continually push yourself to achieve greater heights, to not give up when there's an overwhelming mountain of work. To push yourself burning the midnight oil ,reading on control of eukaryotic gene transcription( how i hate this chapter) . The same can be said for the physical state of my body. A long and hard road it will be, but in time i will achieve that level of fitness at which i can call myself a true fighter. Maybe it will take a year, 2 years or even longer.Whatever it is, its a fighters life for me.

2 comments:

jsncruz said...

I totally agree with you, and hence my pride in my achievements last term, when I proved to myself that not only can I be a star student, but by being a school athlete and dancer too. :)

Nice post bro. Keep it up.
Always nice to be inspired.

pervertism101 said...

Is your cousin in the picture named Jeffri Isheak?

If so then he's my classmate!

And Ivan Selutan is my cousin.

Small world huh.