Tuesday, February 12, 2008

kickboxing

Went for kickboxing yesterday..its official, im hooked to the sport. Being overweight and not flexible, most people would probably laugh at the idea of me seriously trying it out..but ive fallen in love with it. My rope skipping skills are getting better although i still look like a circus bear trying to show off his skills when i do it..managed to pull of 50 in a row hahaha! Which is nothing compared to Ah Lim( our instructer a.k.a master a.k.a 'sir') who does like a few hundreds in a matter of minutes..cant really see the rope even. We then warmed up our legs by kicking d arm pads for a few mins..quite pleased with my right leg which managed to make a loud sounding 'bang' on impact..but my left leg is pathetic..for all my efforts, i managed a weak 'puff' upon hitting the arm pads haha!

And so..of the kickboxing session, we learned a few cool things..cross-jab and hook combo, followed by low kicks and high kick as well as a chokehold/throw move...dunno whts the name. And then we did something which i dreaded..Evasive rolling. Wtf! I think i looked like Humpty Dumpty when i tried..but the master said it was pretty good hahaha!

We then did evasive jumping...to release ourselves from an opponent, we were told to jump away with arms spread out landing flat on our backs........i seriously dont know whats the use, but we did it anyways..and now my back is pretty messed up.

The highlight of the day! my first sparring session( wasnt expecting this at all!)..Ah lim suddenly took out a few pairs of gloves and told us tht we were not to kick or punch each other(wtf right...-at this point the excitement faded)However, we were supposed to use grappling techniques learnt earlier to take our opponent down, each time our opponent hits the floor, we counted it as 1 point in our favour.ALRIGHT!!!!!

I was paired with a kickboxing senior, taller than myself, quite well built but not as heavy as me. My buddies help me put on my gloves at the same time giving advise( The Contender la rasa hahahaha!!!) I muttered a short prayer before stepping in the fight area( first fight wht!!! takut maa) All eyes were on the two of us..i swear i heard someone shout SUMO!..ure lucky i didnt see who it was -.-"

The master stepped in between and waved his hand..fight!We touched gloves and It was on biatch..honestly my mind was blank..most of the stuff i did was instinctive..grapple, throw, grab grab, trip, slam..i was so dead tired after a few mins i actually sat down during the fight hahahaha!!!!( to the laughter of my friends and instructer) My opponent shouted " Come on..No stamina ah!?"ANGER!(no la..i actually laughed when he sed tht)..so i decided to try something new..i got up, moved around to try to find the right angle..and i saw the chance. I rushed at his thighs to deliver a rugby tackle(to his surprise)..something which i had not done in quite sometime, but it was perfect nonetheless. It floored him and i managed to keep my balance..the feeling was of ecstacy, the perfect marriage of 2 sports..i circled around the fallen senior like a prize fighter to the chants of "rhino! rhino!rhino!"..the final score was 8-1 in my favour and i was happy :D

So i went back feeling really satisfied.Despite my body being bruised, my butt taking more punishment than sparco shock absorbers,biceps and pectorial muscles hurting like mad..Im still looking forward to the next session.





fear him

Yodsanklai, current WBC Muay Thai world champion..wouldnt call him an idol but definately a source of awe and inspiration. Check him out on wiki and you'll know what i mean.

thts it for now peeps..back to studying. Signing out~

No comments: