Friday, April 3, 2009

The story so far..

This is probably going to be my last post until after my finals are done. I really had to korek my brain to figure out what to blog about..so i decided to blog about myself!

This is my story.So far la..

I came to this world early in the morning on the 19th of October 1988. For some reason Dad didn't handle the delivery. Maybe sien already la..im the 4th one after all haha!

Used to smile much more whilst taking photos..

I was quickly baptized into the Anglican faith at St.Columba's church..cant remember the name of that priest, but thats my fashionable mum in the colourful outfit haha. Hey, its 1988 ok.
Thats Patrick and Liza, my 2 elder siblings. I seriously can't recall much from the early days. The earliest concious memory of my childhood only stretches back as far as kindy.
Growing up with four siblings was quite an experience, there was never a quiet day. And us boys would either be busy playing or fighting. Either way there was always someone who ended up crying. Strangely enough, i remember patrick having frequent nosebleeds whenever there was the usual ruckuss.

And then i remember those trips we would make to our kampung in Balingian. When i was a toddler, i didnt really mind. As i grew up, i hated going back. Now, as a 20 year old..i have mixed feelings. On one hand, I can never get used to life where theres only 6-9hours of electricity, no fridge, no tv. Power cut at 9-10pm(meaning sleeptime is 9-10pm). Then again, this is my home and my people. So i usually go without making too much fuss nowadays.
I'd normally spend my time fooling around the longhouse..or go swimming in the pond with my uncle..the same pond where they slaughter pigs/cows,pee and take dumps. Hahah! I remember comming back from kampung with all kinds of wierd skin diseases and rashes..KURAP! No wonder i never get sick nowadays, cause my immune system was tortured so badly when i was young.So now its like super strong and immune to all strains of microbes and pathogens.( which can be found in that pond...)

From an adorable baby, I grew up to be a rather annoying toddler. I had this bad habit of blowing candles during other peoples birthdays. I also threw frequent tantrums. Mum was more tolerant, but i remember dad keeping me in the storeroom when i went overboard.
The things they make kids do...

After kindy, i was sent to S.R.B St. Columba, where i stayed until primary 2. Mid year through 1996, dad was posted to London for 2 years, and so the family followed.
For the first few months, we were holed up in a hotel on Regent street, central London. Paradise for a 8year old. No school, no worries. But it got boring after a while. And i remember getting so sick of the hotel breakfast. Then once in a while we'd go school hunting, or house hunting.

And after months living in a pretty decent hotel, we moved to this place in north west london. 106 Golders Green. Golders Green had a largely jewish population,and this was my first encounter with them.To tell you the truth, I found them rather strange.Im talking about the really conservative ones...those tht wouldnt mix with you or absolutely refuse to do anything on the sabbath day.

All decked out for work! Me and Pat enrolled in Hendon Prepatory School for Boys and Girls, aka Hendon Prep. Nick went to Millhill School, and Dad worked at the main Shell headquaters in central London somewhere near Waterloo tube station i think.
Happy family: Winter 96. First encounter with snow, me and pat damn sakai. I was screaming like mad and had to be restrained by both of my kakaks. Imagine 2 helpers trying to bundle up this hyper kid in as much winter clothing as possible before releasing him outside like a rabbid dog.

We did our fair bit of travelling around europe and went to places like Amsterdam, Paris, etc etc. We also did plenty of travelling in the UK itself, going to places like Scotland, Manchester,Liverpool, and Blackpool.

I'll never forget the beautiful scenery in Ireland. It really does look like Hobbiton or Rivendell..Probably where JRR Tolkien got his ideas from.

Easily the happiest years of my life so far, but it was short lived. 1998, Dad was due to return to Malaysia. My fairy tale came to an end. I said goodbye to my friends in hendon prep, and we wouldnt make contact again right till 2008, when i found 4 of them on facebook.


Spot me and i'll give you 5 bucks.

So i was thrown right back into the malaysian public education system, which was in sharp contrast with the elite private school in which i was enrolled for 2 years . I was put in a class of 40, when in the UK there was only 10 of us to a class. The teachers here actually walked out on us whenever they were pissed, when this is unheard off over there. Some were also rather sadistic and peanut-brained.(and horny too!)

I felt rather out of place, and my BM was attrocious. I had hardly spoken the language in 2 years, and now whole lessons were conducted in BM. I was lost. I remember going for intensive BM tuition as well as plenty of story book reading to re-familiarize myself with the language.

Bahhh theres still lots to tell and im getting sleepy, so ill stop here for now. Will continue the other half tomorrow :D or after exam..

3 comments:

wendliu said...

my aunt stays in golders green too!

Boredjoe said...

Hey wend! Haha what a coincidence!It was a pretty decent place tho the ppl weren't too open :/

Nicole said...

juz coz u wanna put up a new post. anyhow, it was nice to read abt ur history.