Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Human experiment edit

I will have to change some details on my experimental lifestyle plan..firstly, a friend of mine advised that the jogging be done before the gym sessions(i dunno the scientific reason behind this, but apparently it f*cks up your body if you do otherwise. Any comments would be greatly appreciated), so tht would have to be changed. I'll just switch the time around.Furthermore, the distance covered during the jogs will be increased to a minimum of 5km, more if possible. This being the fact that i may actually join the Terry Fox run( Not exactly sure when that is...if anyone knows, please let me know :D) and that i would have to be able to cover at least 8-10kms in a respectable amount of time.

will do a post on the Terry Fox run soon, if you guys don't already know whats it about :D

TQ!

3 comments:

jsncruz said...

Hey bro. Nice to see someone's working out seriously. :)

I've been a gym rat during the last semester, when I made varsity (we are required to be fit), and your friend is right. Cardio before weights, but this is only applicable if you must do cardio and weights on the same day.

Cardio before weights (provided you do cardio lasting 30-45 minutes a session) burn the carbohydrates in your system, forcing your body to use fat as a fuel instead. Of course, heart rate matters (get a monitor if you can afford it bro). Also, cardio tires out your muscles a bit, forcing your muscles to work harder on weights sessions.

Remember, when you do weights, it's not the weight you lift, it's how you lift. Proper form > heavy weights.

I don't do sit-ups, and very few crunches. For me, core training is WAY better. I bet you've got some people there who can give you a really good core program. :)

Good luck, and I hope you achieve the healthier, fitter, and better Josh that you want.

Boredjoe said...

oh wow thanks bro, didnt know you were into this gym thing as well. Will take note of the cardio info :D
Whats core training btw?

jsncruz said...

Core training is building core strength. Your core is from your upper abs and sides to your hips and upper thighs. These are the pillars of a strong and healthy athlete. :)

The easiest core training is a plank bridge. Push-up position, hold for about 60-90 seconds, rest 30 seconds, repeat again. 5 sets. :)

I've got a favorite. Side plank (right arm on the ground, body straight) then on the left hand, hold a 3-kg medicine ball so your body forms a "T". It's harder because you have to balance the ball. Core training is all about control and balance. 2 weeks of this, I guarantee you'll FEEL a lot stronger.

Don't forget stretching bro. It takes time (and a lot of pain!) but it's worth it. I can do a straddle split now. :P Hahaha.. Took me 5 weeks!!